axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "tom ONeill" <beagleboythefi...@hotmail.com>
Subject XML within string parameter to RPC Service
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:05:34 GMT
Hi all,
I am going to be using Axis to invoke an RPC style web service which takes a
single string parameter. This string parameter is going to contain an XML
message. What I am wondering is if I need to wrap this String in a CDATA
section before I invoke the web service?

>From reading the XML specification it says that character data consists of
any text that does not contain markup. However my string value will contain
markup. I have tested invoking the web service without wrapping my String in
a CDATA section and have found that Axis has changed all the markup
characters into their respective entity references (i.e. < has become < ).
What Im wondering is why Axis is doing this? Im not sure how it creates its
SOAP messages but from a brief glance of the code I guess it uses DOM
(rather than plain String manipulation ). From looking at the DOM API it
does not mention anything about the createTextNode method parsing the text
content and expanding markup to use entity references?

Any recommendations or pointers as to what should influence whether the text
should be wrapped in a CDATA section would help....

Cheers,
Tom