axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com>
Subject Re: How to control access to certain fields in a bean map.
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:37:03 GMT
I guess you will not have access at either side of your application.
Axis bean serialization / deserialization needs all fields to have
setter and getter methods. Bean instances are created through the
default constructor (with no parameters), so your ID initialization will
not be executed.

AFAIK, there is no easy and straight solution for your problem.
Probably, you will have to implement a custom serializer / deserializer
for your bean, and use a read-only class for your bean. A common
approach is to have a base read-only class with a protected Id field and
the getId() method, and a subclass with the setId() method. Your
serializer / deserializer will use the subclass, but you will see the
base class by default. With this approach you can still access the setId
method through class casting, but you must do it explicitly.

Axis does not provide a public way to specify you want to use a subclass
for serializing / deserializing a given base class. This is the reason
why you need to implement your own serializer to do this.

HTH,
Rodrigo Ruiz