axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "I-Sampige, Srinivas" <srinivas.samp...@boeing.com>
Subject RE: Custom mapping's and DataHandlers?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:17:27 GMT
If I understood you correctly, you are suggesting that binary data should be encoded with Base64
inside of the SOAP message itself.  Many of the articles I have read have said that Base64
encoding within the SOAP message is inefficient. For example here  are two  articles -
		http://www.pocketsoap.com/pocketsoap/docs/master/attachments.htm
		http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/02/26/binaryxml.html

What are your comments?

-Srinivas

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Simmons [mailto:dsimmons@seanet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 4:22 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: RE: Custom mapping's and DataHandlers?

If you care about interoperability with clients like gSOAP (c++) or MS .NET
your best bet is to not use DataHandlers, DIME, or multipart.  For any kind
of binary data / BLOB use old reliable base64Binary objects

We had the fun of interfacing to an axis server that exported image files
as DataHandler objects and ended up having to hack together our own c++
code to bypass our SOAP library and process the raw HTTP.

---Dave