axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: Why choose Axis?
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:11:48 GMT
saguyer@gte.net wrote:

>And as for Sun’s JWSDK, again, need more info.  My understanding is that
>they shunned the WS-I and Microsoft’s attempts to work on interop.  In effect,
>taking them out of the game.  A grim statement, if my understanding is still
>accurate.  Hopefully, if it is not, someone will clarify their position for us.

Just for the record, Sun did not shun the WS-I and interop. The actual
situation is the exact opposite of what you portrayed: Bill Gates
approved Microsoft's participation in WS-I only on the condition that
Sun would not be invited, as shown by one of the emails that came out in
the trials.

On the plus side for JAX-RPC RI, the 1.1 version included in JWSDP 1.3
comes with WS-I BP support (something we're unlikely to see from Axis
until sometime next year). Axis is definitely much easier to work with
than the JAX-RPC RI, though, and I think with enough effort you can
build BP-compliant applications using Axis (though only by bypassing the
whole data binding implementation and working with a DOM view of the
data, AFAIK - I put together a doc/lit service using attachments with
this kind of approach last week).

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Enterprise Java, XML, and Web Services Support
http://www.sosnoski.com
Redmond, WA  425.885.7197