axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Blunck <blu...@gst.com>
Subject Re: jwsdp 1.3 or AXIS
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:21:28 GMT
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 04:39:39PM +0000, Stuart Barlow wrote:
> Any thoughts about the JWSDP 1.3 from Sun?

I had lots of problems with 1.2 with respect to code generation and error
messages.  JWSDP was definitely *more* difficult to use, did not contain clear
documentation as to how to integrate it with ant (you had to run wscompile.sh
to convert WSDL -> Java), and it didn't generate code into different packages
if they were in different namespaces.  For example,

If I had a schema with a targetNamespace of http://foo.com/bar with a complex
type named "Request" and another schema with a targetNamespace of
http://foo.com/foo and it also contained a complex type named "Request", I'd
get compilation errors because JWSDP used the package com.foo for the classes
it generates from both schemas.

I also had problems where because I didn't have my CLASSPATH set correctly I
received errors like NoClassDefFoundError: com$foo$bar$Request.  Upon posting
to the JWSDP forum I found that the $ was a left over artifact from a previous
time, and that the code was in fact looking for com.foo.bar.Request, even tho
the error message would leave you to believe otherwise.

Bottom line - I spent about 3 days arm wrestling with JWSDP trying to get it
to translate WSDL -> Java and produce server side skeletons and client side
stubs.  The documentation sucked, and in the end I didn't get very far.

I then spent an afternoon (maybe 3 hours?) and in that time I got Axis
integrated with our build environment, had server side skeletons created,
an implementation written that subclassed the skeletons, my application
deployed, and some example code that would get me started on my client.

-c

--
 10:15:00  up 1 day, 16:45, 10 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.19, 0.18