axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Anne Thomas Manes <a...@manes.net>
Subject Re: Wsdl and Axis
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 10:03:42 GMT
If you look through the archives you'll find a number of postings on the
differences between RPC, Wrapped, Document, and Message style services.

Axis WSDD RPC style generates a WSDL RPC/encoded style service.
Axis WSDD Wrapped, Document, and Message styles generate a WSDL
Document/Literal service.

Hence you can use Wrapped, Document, or Message style to improve .NET interop.
Wrapped and Document styles let Axis perform the serialization and
deserialization of messages. Message style leaves the serialization process
to the application. (Axis just hands your application the raw XML).

To summarize:

RPC:
- produces a parameterized RMI interface
- performs automatic serialization
- uses RPC/encoded
WRAPPED:
- produces a parameterized RMI interface
- performs automatic serialization
- uses doc/literal
DOCUMENT:
- produces a non-parameterized RMI interface (client must wrap parameters
in a JavaBean) - performs automatic serialization
- uses doc/literal
MESSAGE:
- uses a call interface passing XML
- applications must process XML