axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Tom Oinn <...@ebi.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Examples of stateful services
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:57:18 GMT
We have a project called Soaplab (http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/soaplab/)
where the services are inherently stateful; they wrap around arbitrary
command line tools (mostly life science analysis programs) and expose
them as services driven by metadata descriptions. These follow a
standard factory pattern; create returns an ID, this ID is then passed
to all other operations. This state is therefore explicit, we do not use
mechanisms such as sessions because there is a requirement to pick up
state at a later point or at a different location.

In addition, we have a project called Taverna (taverna.sf.net) which is
about composing services, web and otherwise, into workflows. This is in
use with quite a few life science groups at the moment, we're interested
in any feedback though :)

Cheers,

Tom