axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "NJ Rogers, Learning and Research Technology" <Nikki.Rog...@bristol.ac.uk>
Subject Why does axis use an accessor called "multiref" when serialising soap encoded data?
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:47:48 GMT
Hi

>From reading the encoding specs for both Soap 1.1 & Soap 1.2, I would like
to clarify Axis' use of the element called "multiRef".

For example, in soap encoded response messages I get data that looks like
this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <soapenv:Body>
  <ns1:rubyQueryResponse
xmlns:ns1="urn:rubysoapservices">
   <rubyQueryReturn xsi:type="soapenc:Array"
soapenc:arrayType="ns1:RubyInfo[3]"
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
    <item href="#id0"/>
    <item href="#id1"/>
    <item href="#id2"/>
   </rubyQueryReturn>
  </ns1:rubyQueryResponse>
  <multiRef id="id1" soapenc:root="0"
xsi:type="ns2:RubyInfo"
xmlns:ns2="urn:rubysoapservices">
   <ruby_category href="#id3"/>
   <ruby_owner href="#id4"/>
   <ruby_product href="#id5"/>
   <update xsi:type="xsd:string" xsi:nil="true"/>
  </multiRef>

>From reading the specs I might have expected the <multiRef> element to not
exist, and, in its place for there to be an element named in respect of the
complex type ie: ns1:RubyInfo.  (ie the Node is expressed as a typed
element).

All I seek to confirm here is that use of an element called "multiRef" is
*Axis-specific*, arbitrarily* named, and built in to the code.  ie Axis
implementors prefer to use this element in combination with xsi:typing to
represent multi-reference nodes. Is that correct?

Many thanks
Nikki

* of course I understand that the choice of name for this element
corresponds to the concept of multi-referencing, but my point is that this
element could in fact have been named anything.

NJ Rogers, Technical Researcher
(Semantic Web Applications Developer)
Institute for Learning and Research Technology (ILRT)
Email:nikki.rogers@bristol.ac.uk
Tel: +44(0)117 9287096 (Direct)
Tel: +44(0)117 9287193 (Office)