axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Hansen, Richard" <richard.han...@thomson.com>
Subject RE: How do you detect that a service is down?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:13:55 GMT
I have not tested this, but I would have expected some sort of Fault on the
client side. I am not exactly sure what you mean by not running though. It
seems to me that there are several types of "not running". Assuming HTTP:

1) The web server is down
2) Axis servlet unreachable
3) Axis can't find the service
4) Service has some unavailable resource that causes it to fail
5) The call times out

In the first two cases I would have expected a client side fault with 404
errors. In the third, I would have expected some server side 500 error.
Number four depends the the service implementation.

Rick Hansen