axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject Re: encoding.ser.castor
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 15:51:21 GMT
David,

Axis defines 4 message styles, which get specified either in Java2WSDL or
the WSDD. These message styles should not be confused with WSDL message
styles. These styles tell Axis three things:
- what type of WSDL style to use (rpc/encoded vs doc/literal)
- what type of service provider to use (java:RPC or java:MSG)
- what type of interface to generate (parameterized, non-parameterized, or
none)

If you want Axis to hand you a DOM element so that you can do your own
serialization, then you should use the java:MSG provider -- which means you
should use the Axis MESSAGE style.

The Axis message styles are:

RPC:
- produces WSDL style RPC/encoded
- uses WSDD provider="java:RPC" (Axis performs serialization)
- produces a parameterized RMI interface
WRAPPED:
- produces WSDL style doc/literal
- uses WSDD provider="java:RPC" (Axis performs serialization)
- produces a parameterized RMI interface
DOCUMENT:
- produces WSDL style doc/literal
- uses WSDD provider="java:RPC" (Axis performs serialization)
- produces a non-parameterized RMI interface (takes a JavaBean)
MESSAGE:
- produces WSDL style doc/literal
- uses WSDD provider="java:MSG" (delivers a DOM element)
- doesn't produce an interface (client uses call object)

Anne