axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "D. Delcomminette" <...@aireinfo.com>
Subject RE: Axis vs Glue
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:11:10 GMT
Does Sun have a tool similar to GLUE or WASP, how does it compare to them?

Dominique

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne Thomas Manes [mailto:anne@manes.net]
Sent: 02 July, 2003 18:00
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org; kparams2k@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Axis vs Glue

When I refer to GLUE as ".NET for Java", what I mean is that it's as easy to
use as .NET. You can use GLUE to develop both clients and servers in Java.
GLUE generates a set of helper classes that do most of the work for you.
>From a programming perspective on the client side, you simply include the
helper classes and write two simple lines of code to invoke the remote
service. From a programming perspective on the server side, you simply
deploy your service class/package (similar to Axis .jws). One big advantage
that GLUE provides is a more comprehensive serialization framework. It can
handle pretty much any object, and doesn't require custom [de]serializers.
And GLUE supports easy interoperability with .NET, even when using complex
types. (In addition to the java2wsdl and wsdl2java tools, GLUE also provides
java2schema and schema2java tools.) It provides excellent support for
document/literal (although I still see a few errors in the generated WSDL.
For the best support of document/literal, I recommend WASP).

Seamless support for document/literal is a key advantage over Axis at the
moment (but I'm hoping that we'll fix this issue soon).

I'd really like to stop promoting GLUE on this list, so if anyone else has
more questions, please email me off-list.

Anne