axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject Re: SOAP intermediatries - explanation
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:09:35 GMT
A SOAP intermediary is a SOAP node that is both a SOAP server and a SOAP
client. It is a SOAP node that sits in the middle of a SOAP message route --
somewhere between the client SOAP node and the ultimate receiver SOAP node.
A SOAP intermediary intercepts the SOAP message, processes the message,
performs some set of actions, and then forwards the message on to the next
SOAP node. You can have any number of SOAP intermediaries in the message
route.

A SOAP handler is not a SOAP intermediary. A SOAP handler is a process
performed within a SOAP node (including the client, any intermediaries, and
the ultimate receiver).

Most people use a SOAP intermediary to add features and capabilities to the
Web services middleware. For example, you can use a SOAP intermediary to
implement support for WS-Security or WS-ReliableMessaging, or you can use a
SOAP intermediary to perform content-based routing or message compression.
You can also perform many of these capabilities using a SOAP handler,
although I think that content-based routing works best using an
intermediary.

Most Web Services Management products (e.g., Actional, Adjoin, AmberPoint,
Blue Titan, Confluent, Service Integrity, and Vordel) operate as a SOAP
intermediary, although some of these products may also be configured as a
SOAP handler.

Anne