axis-java-user mailing list archives

From santosh.jo...@bt.com
Subject RE: Newbie question on Usage and design style
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:16:05 GMT
Wilfred,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I hope to generate a healthy debate on the
issue and see whether I am crossing the limits of interoperation.

Does SOAP, UDDI, WSDL in their present and proposed form attempt to address
this issue about authentication? What are the best practices around this,
supposing that one wants to maintain interoperation? One solution may be to
maintain the underlying HTTP session (but that is something beyond the specs
in WSDL) and again may break interop.

Hope for guidance from experienced people in the list.

Regards,

Santosh

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilfred Springer [mailto:Wilfred.Springer@Sun.COM]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 9:31 AM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Newbie question on Usage and design style

> We are considering of introducing axis based web services, as an interop
> solution for the interface into our product. We already have well
> established Authentication and Authorisation services delivered via CORBA,
> wanted to utilise the same and introduce a concept of a token for every
> successful user of our web services (still in the conceptualization
phase).

This smells like SAML.

> Some sites suggested of introducing SOAP Headers in the WSDL. Does AXIS
> support this feature of a token in the request header. How do I access it
in
> an end point? Is it too much of a demand on web services?

If your ultimate goal is interoperability, then you'd better steer clear
from introducing proprietary headers.

Wilfred Springer               Phone  : +31 (0)3 3451 5736
Java Architect                 Mobile : +31 (0)6 2295 7321
Sun Java Center                Fax    : +31 (0)3 3451 5734
Sun Microsystems Netherlands   Mail   : wilfred.springer@sun.com