axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mr. Document Service" <mrdocserv...@yahoo.com>
Subject Document-Style SOAP Support in AXIS 1.1 Final release
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:58:57 GMT
Reviewing recent and past e-mail regarding support in AXIS 1.1 RC2 release for
sending and receiving document-style SOAP messages:

1) RE: Document Style web service bug
2) RE: style="document" 1_1RC2

3) Anne Thomas Mane's e-mail Re: document/literal

We probably want to clarify the extent of support of AXIS regarding
document style SOAP. In the release notes AXIS is supposed to
be JAX-RPC compliant. That does not mean it needs to support
Doc/literal SOAP.

However, the concern is that:

a) Microsoft .NET is supposed to support Doc/literal SOAP as the
default for its .NET 1.1 clients.
b) WS-I has disallowed the use RPC/Enc flavor of SOAP.

Axis supports both RPC/Enc and RPC/Literal, but the problem is that
users of Microsoft .NET and many other WSDKs (WASP, Glue, DocSOAP)
will most likely end up using Doc/literal SOAP format.

Hence some questions to clarify - which I hope AXIS team would
include in their release notes eventually:

Question#1:
Is AXIS supporting:
(a) binding style="document" and
(b) encoding option use="literal"

for both inbound and outbound SOAP messages?

Question#2:
What level of interoperability does AXIS support for document style
SOAP with commercial toolkits such as (.NET, WASP, DocSOAP)?

Question#3:
Does AXIS comply with WS-I Basic Profile? In particular does AXIS
comply with following WS-I requirements:

R1005 A MESSAGE MUST NOT contain soap:encodingStyle attributes on any of the elements whose
namespace name is "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/".

R1006 A MESSAGE MUST NOT contain soap:encodingStyle attributes on any element that is a child
of soap:Body.

R1007 A MESSAGE described in an rpc-literal binding MUST NOT contain soap:encodingStyle attribute
on any elements are grandchildren of soap:Body.

R2735 A MESSAGE described with an rpc-literal binding MUST place the part accessor elements
for parameters and return value in no namespace.

Question#4:

I understand that AXIS supports SOAP with Attachments (SwA) via SAAJ. If a SOAP message contains
attachment parts, how does AXIS support referencing of SOAP attachment parts in the WSDL intefaces,
i.e., wsdl:portType?

Question#5:

What improvements are planned in this area before AXIS 1.1 final release?

Havala!