axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Jim Poulsen <jpoul...@metamatrix.com>
Subject RE: Best practices question
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 13:10:08 GMT
Bill,

Thanks for your response, i just have a few questions about it:

- Not sure what you mean by 'verb set' (particularly when you refer to CRUD,
HTTP, and SQL). In my experience a web service invokation is against an
'abstraction' control layer of the underlying data in a data store somewhere
(ejb layer, service layer).  What i mean is that the 'verbs' in a web
service call are things like 'getStockQuote' not SQL terms like 'SELECT'.
Could you explain further?

- Could you also be more specific about why RPC type WS implementations do
not 'scale'?

- It does seem to complicate the 'set up' of the call from the client side
when you use doc/literal.  Doesn't the client have to manually construct the
XML message to be passed to the server in the case of a doc/literal service
call (when the xsd types required by the doc/literal service are complex)?

I appreciate any time you can spend answering my questions, as i am fairly
new to web services.

Thanks,

Jim