axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Duane Gran <dg...@spinweb.net>
Subject character encoding issue
Date Mon, 19 May 2003 11:59:44 GMT
I am having some trouble with character encoding where non-ascii
characters (cyrillic, arabic, etc) are malformed when they come over
Axis.  I've been trying to pinpoint the source of the problem and it
appears to be related to Axis, but I welcome any hints on how to work
around the problem.

My web service (rpc) takes a binary file and converts it to an XML
format and returns the XML as an XSD:String.  There may be preferable
ways (Document web service?) for returning pure XML, but the first
version is for simplicity.  The service is deployed on AIX for
production and Mac OS X for development.

The curious thing is that in development the character encoding works
just fine, but not on AIX.  I have tested the web service locally on
the AIX box with a command line version and it works correctly, so I
don't believe there is any deficiency in Java (1.3.0) on AIX.  My only
conclusion is that somehow the encoding is lost when it is sent over
the network via Axis.

Is this familiar to anyone?  Is there a way from the service-side to
overtly declare the character encoding of the response?  I appreciate
any pointers.

Duane Gran