axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Tom Myers <tommy...@dreamscape.com>
Subject Re: Internationalization
Date Thu, 22 May 2003 16:41:55 GMT
Chris Forbis wrote:

> Let me expand on this a little J  I know some character sets can be done
> with UTF8 but I know there are many kanji characters that can not be
> done with UTF8.  And I am assuming UTF16 has a purpose ...

> http://www.unicode.org/faq/han_cjk.html#0
> FAQ - HAN & CJK
>
> Q: I have heard that UTF-8 does not support some Japanese characters.
> Is this correct?
>
> A: There is a lot of misinformation floating around about the support
> of Chinese, Japanese and Korean (CJK) characters. The Unicode Standard
> supports all of the CJK characters from JIS X 0208, JIS X 0212, JIS
> X 0221, or JIS X 0213, for example, and many more. This is true no
> matter which encoding form of Unicode is used: UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32.

UTF-8 and UTF-16 both have the purpose of representing arbitrary
Unicode characters, but UTF-16 has the convenient property that
decoding is utterly trivial, where UTF-8 has the convenient
property that it includes (lo) ASCII text files with no problems.

Unless I'm all mixed up again, that is.

tom myers