axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject Re: difference between Axis and Apache
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 12:48:20 GMT
Do you mean "what is the difference between Apache Axis and Apache SOAP"?

Apache Axis is a replacement for Apache SOAP.

Apache SOAP was the industry's first SOAP implementation -- first released in June 2000. It
predates WSDL. When WSDL was released, the Apache SOAP team discussed options of how to implement
support for it (as well as a number of other desired features). In February 2001, the team
decided that the Apache SOAP code base has some serious limitations that make it very difficult
to manage, maintain, and enhance. (It's monolithic and convoluted.) The team decided that
it would be better to start over from scratch. So they started the Apache Axis project. Since
then the Apache SOAP project has been in maintenance mode -- lots of bug fixes, but no new
features.

- Apache Axis is a modern, third-generation Web Services Platform. It supports SOAP 1.1 and
1.2, WSDL 1.1, XML Schema 1.0, and JAX-RPC.
- Apache SOAP is a really old SOAP stack. It supports most of SOAP 1.1 and limited support
for XML Schema 1.0. It doesn't support WSDL. It uses a proprietary API.

The team maintains Apache SOAP to support existing (legacy?) SOAP applications, but developers
should use Axis for new development. You can use Apache SOAP to talk to Apache Axis and vice
versa, but you use one or the other for each application component.

See the wiki page for a comparison of the two products:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AxisProjectPages/Compare

Anne