axis-java-user mailing list archives

From brent.pars...@alliance-pipeline.com
Subject RE: From a Web Start client.
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 21:48:33 GMT
Hi

I decided to stop fighting it and signed all the Jar Files. The Web Start
Client can now make the Web Service call without errors. BUT, now its
pulling a java.lang.NoSuchMethodError on one of the classes.

It works fine run outside of Web Start, but within Web Start with the signed
jars, all the SET methods are missing. I verified this. Anyone see this
behaivour or know what is wrong.

Anyways, if you want to call web services from a Web Start app, currently
you have to sign all the jars files. I also tested this using Oracles
implementation of web services, same is true.

thanks,
Brent Parsons
Alliance Pipeline Ltd.
parsonb@alliance-pipeline.com
403 517 6444

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Barber [mailto:jon.barber@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 2:13 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: From a Web Start client.

brent.parsons@alliance-pipeline.com wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am attempting to try to invoke web services from a swing client, which
>works fine, but from within the restrictions of the Web Start environment.
>It is not ok to have to sign the app. The question is being asked in the
>context of calling the web service directly from the Web Started Client.
>
>I am wondering if there is a way to get it to go, or is this something that
>I have to wait for until the framework is modified to work correctly in a
>restricted run time environment.

Hi Brent,

I am doing exactly what you are trying to do, and Axis works fine when
you sign the web start jars. In fact, I think it will only work when you
do this for several reasons.

The main one is that for a web start app to connect to a server other
than the one it was downloaded from it must have extra permissions
enabled, and for this it must be signed.

Jon.

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE, IT MAY
CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. ANY
UNAUTHORISED DISCLOSURE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE
RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US
IMMEDIATELY SO THAT WE MAY CORRECT OUR INTERNAL RECORDS.
PLEASE THEN DELETE THE ORIGINAL EMAIL. THANK YOU