axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject RE: [Newbie] Axis vs GLUE vs WASP
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:58:20 GMT
Sorry -- I realize that I didn't answer all your questions regarding WSTK:

IBM WSTK provides a bunch of extra tools that work with Axis.
- uddi4j is a UDDI client library
- wsdl4j is an API to create, access, and manipulate WSDL files. It's most
often used by SOAP tools rather than SOAP applications. wsdl4j is the
reference implementation for JSR-110 -- The Java API for WSDL.
- wsif is the Web services invocation framework -- it's an alternative Java
client interface to Web services and other service-oriented systems (such as
EJB). It has lots of nice dynamic features.
- wsil4j is the Web Services Inspection Language for Java, which provides a
Java interface to WS-Inspection, also known as WSIL. WSIL provides a simple
discovery mechanism that you can use in place of or to augment UDDI. (I
don't know of too many folks using it, though).
- wsxl is the Web Services Experience Language - a component model for
interactive Web services. I was under the impression that this specification
had been superseded by WSRP (see
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsrp).

Under most circumstances, you don't need to use any of these APIs, although
you might want to try WSIF. You'll need uddi4j to access UDDI. As I said
before -- wsdl4j is used by SOAP tools (like wsdl2java and java2wsdl) rather
than by SOAP applications.

Anne