axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Frank Cohen <fco...@pushtotest.com>
Subject Axis 1.1 rc2 on Tomcat 4.0.3?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 23:12:54 GMT
I didn't see a reply to this email I posted last week. Anyone know?
-Frank

--

What is the final word on getting Axis 1.1 RC2 to run under Tomcat
4.0.3?

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
         at org.apache.axis.utils.ClassUtils$2.run(ClassUtils.java:179)
         at
org.apache.axis.utils.ClassUtils.loadClass(ClassUtils.java:171)
         at org.apache.axis.utils.ClassUtils.forName(ClassUtils.java:112)
         at
org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd.WSDDDeployableItem.getJavaClass(WSDDDepl
oya
bleItem.java:389)
         at
org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd.WSDDDeployableItem.makeNewInstance(WSDDD
epl
oyableItem.java:331)
         at
org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd.WSDDDeployableItem.getNewInstance(WSDDDe
plo
yableItem.java:310)
         at
org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd.WSDDDeployableItem.getInstance(WSDDDeplo
yab
leItem.java:296)
         at
org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd.WSDDDeployment.getHandler(WSDDDeployment
.ja
va:455)
         at
org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd.WSDDDeployableItem.getNewInstance(WSDDDe
plo
yableItem.java:312)
(more)

I followed the Axis installation instructions
(http://docs.pushtotest.com/axisdocs/install.html) and put copies of the
Axis jar files into the Tomcat common/lib. I also put xercesImpl.jar and
xmlParserAPIs.jar into common/lib.

> From a Google search I found:
http://www.sce.carleton.ca/~weima/AxisInstallation.html#_edn1. This
basically says "Don't use Tomcat 4.0.3."

What is the final word on this?

-Frank

---

http://www.sce.carleton.ca/~weima/AxisInstallation.html#_edn1

AXIS installation guide
Motivation   2
ISSUES   2
ClassNotFoundException  2
Cause  2
Solution/work around  3
Reference   4

Motivation
The installation guide provided by Apache does not solve all problems
with
AXIS installation. The document explains some "hidden issues" of
servlet and
axis and provides some workarounds to solve the issues.

ISSUES
ClassNotFoundException
Cause[1]
Some versions (4.0.2, 4.0.3) of Tomcat don't load classes whose fully
qualified names began with any of the following:
             java.
             javax.net.
             javax.security.cert.
             javax.naming.
             javax.xml.
             org.xml.sax.
             org.w3c.dom.
and additionally, they don't load jar files that contain any of the
following classes
             com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory
             com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider
             javax.security.auth.Subject
             javax.servlet.Servlet

             Some other versions (4.0.4-b1, 4.0.4-b2) of Tomcat don't
load
classes whose fully qualified names start with any of the following:
             java.
             javax.naming.
             javax.naming.directory
             javax.xml.parsers
             org.xml.sax.
             org.xml.sax.ext
org.xml.sax.helpers
             org.w3c.dom.
and additionally, they don't load jar files that contains
             javax.servlet.Servlet

Notice that javax.xml package is not forbidden for version 4.0.4-b1 and
4.0.4-b2 the many of the ClassNotFoundException is avoid.
Solution/work around
             By the time the document is written, the latest stable
version
of Tomcat is version 4.0.3. The version does NOT work with axis, so use
4.0.4.-b2 instead.

Reference

[1] Nathan D.Bowen nbowen+axis-users@andtonic.com, response to the
subject:
"Axis trouble with Tomcat 4.0.2 and 4.0.3" on April 9th 2002

--
Frank Cohen, Founder, PushToTest, http://www.PushToTest.com, phone: 408
374 7426