axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Vardeman <andr...@iastate.edu>
Subject Re: Java Object vs XML (Webservice)
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:29:22 GMT
because originally .NET didn't do attachments (client is a C# app) and I
haven't been keeping up.  Plus it was such a breakthrough to switch to RPC
that I dunno if I'm up to learning yet another big chunk of Axis and
.NET.  And while I'm writing both ends, deployment is such a pain (we
waited literally months for USDA to sign off on our installer) that now
that our users have .NET Framework 1.0, I dunno if we'll require them to
upgrade anytime soon.

Mostly I felt obliged to in some way counteract the size change from
message to RPC, and zip + base64 gets sizes down well below what they
were.  Users were satisfied with download times before the change, but I
didn't want them to take a hit to make my life easier.