axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Rodrigo Ruiz" <rr...@gridsystems.com>
Subject Re: Java Object vs XML (Webservice)
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:36:44 GMT
AFAIK, an attachment is only a chunk of bytes that is sent with your SOAP
message, but separated of the XML. This has the following advantages:

 - The attachment can be sent in binary form. No base64 encoding is needed,
so it is more efficient
 - The attachment is not inside the XML Envelope. This means less memory
used for creating the DOM tree in your C# client.

A DOM tree structure created from Java is not binary-compatible with C#
types. I mean that what you send over the net will necessarily be a String
representation of your XML data. You cannot avoid the conversion steps,
unless you use the same (or data compatible) language at both sides, which
is not your case.

You commented to have memory problems when receiving the response. This is
probably a consequence of your XML data being included into the SOAP
Envelope. Your client is probably trying to create a huge DOM tree. If this
is what is happening, attachments would be a good solution.

I do not use .NET clients, but I would investigate the "add-in" for DIME
support that Steve commented.

HTH,
Rodrigo Ruiz