axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject RE: Standalone server questions
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:57:59 GMT
Sean,

Axis is a SOAP server. Think of it as another type of application server
container that runs in your app server. You deploy your app (the web
service) in this container. You configure the service using a web service
deployment descriptor (WSDD).

As an alternative, you can write a little wrapper service that runs in Axis
and uses RMI to call your app, but the performance would probably be better
if you deployed it within Axis.

The Axis SOAP server runs as a servlet, so it gets deployed in a servlet
engine, such as Tomcat. But you don't deploy your web services as servlets.

Anne

ps -- in Outlook you can select Format | Plain Text and it will convert it
to plain text for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Leblanc [mailto:SeanL@e-infodata.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 12:04 PM
To: 'axis-user@ws.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Standalone server questions

Okay, thanks. Maybe I'm being dense, but how can I have the Axis that is
deployed in the servlet engine communicate with my app? Or do I place my
whole app into Tomcat's servlet engine. I'm familiar with Tomcat, but just
trying to get my head around the web services aspect (so far, I've only
written a client using Axis).

Here's what I need to happen:

Perpetually running app (already written), or at least running whenever
Tomcat is up.
Outside client sends soap requests to it - it calls threadable classes
internally in this app...all running under the same instance to save on RAM,
and avoid issues that would come up if we had many instances running.

You suggest running IIS w/ Tomcat, and I understand how to get these two
working together, but just for the JSP/Servlet stuff. If I want to use Axis
with Tomcat and my app, I'd deploy services to Tomcat, and then...that's
where I get lost. J I'm unsure where the communication happens so that my
app can see the requests and Do The Right Thing (tm).

TIA,
Sean

P.S. I apologize to all you folks using text-based mailers. I'm using
Outlook here at work, and it seems to pretty much force me into top-posting.
Sorry 'bout that.