axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Forbis <chris.for...@veritas.com>
Subject RE: "Connection Closed" SQLExceptions
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:12:56 GMT
Off the top of my head I think with the Tomcat pool you can set the auto
commit in it's setup and also you should set the verifiy before checkout
option in Tomcat pooling.  Use something like  SELECT 1 FROM DUAL;  it is
nice and quick and will make sure before if gives you a connection that it
is valid.

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy Wood [mailto:roy.wood@filogix.com]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 11:09 AM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: "Connection Closed" SQLExceptions

This is probably not really an Axis problem, but I suspect that someone
else here has probably run into it before.

I've got a SOAP service that accesses an Oracle database via JDBC.  Most
of the methods exposed are pretty light (fetch a bunch of rows from a
table, maybe insert into one table), and work great.  One method is a
little heavier though-- it queries three or four tables, then inserts
into three others before finally committing all the changes.

Repeated invocation of the latter method quickly leads to problems.
Specifically, when I get the JDBC connection and try to set auto commit
to false, a SQLException "Connection Closed" occurs, and I have to
restart the server.  :-(

Speaking of the server, it is Tomcat 4.1.18, and I am using its
connection pooling.  And yes, I am paranoically careful to close all
ResultSets, PreparedStatements, and Connections in the correct order, as
mentioned in the docs.

Anybody else been bitten by this?

-Roy

"Disclaimer - The opinions expressed in this message are strictly
personal and do not necessarily reflect those of FiLogix."