axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Ricky Ho <r...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: Authorization using WS security and SAML
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:38:14 GMT
SAML is about specifying the XML format of your authorization decision
outcome (authorization assertion).  It also defines a protocol how to
request the assertion.  SAML doesn't describe how the decision should be
made.  XACML is attempting to standardize how such decision rules should be
specified.  So it is completely solving an orthogonal problem.

I'm not sure how important to standardize decision making rules because
there is NO "inter-operability" requirement for that.  There is NO need to
communicating how I made my decision to my business partners.  The value of
XACML is "portability" of my decision criteria across multiple vendor
products.  However, "portability" has never been a goal for any XML
standard.  It is arguable how important XACML will be.

Best regards,
ricky