axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Simple little trick for easing (de)serialization issues
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:31:40 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Milind Gadre" <milind@ecplatforms.com>
To: <axis-user@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 14:44
Subject: Re: Simple little trick for easing (de)serialization issues

> Claude, good point. I am new to using Web Services and wanted to get
> some feedback. I will keep your comments in mind moving forward.
>
> Counterpoint - General purpose interoperability is a myth. Both sides
> have to know what is being requested and delivered, and in what format.
> One need not always use the notion of interoperability to impose
> un-necessary hardship.

I concur, but think longer term. You may want an all java shop this month,
but a year from now you may need to connect to the services from ASP.net, a
win32 app or something similar. Example: I am writing a COM object to use
the SOAP toolkit to talk to my Java service, for better integration with
win32 apps that support scripting.

I am doing a lot of work on that client side to make sure the caller of the
com object has a simple life (they just name a file to upload and a sender
email address), I do the work of creating the xml job ticket, sending that
and the attachment.

If I'd written a java only web service, I would not be able to integrate my
web service with the win32 apps is if I hadnt crippled parts of the API to
work with interop.

> I can easily see the effect of mismatched Java versions causing
> headaches. While I would not use my approach to pass any and all Java
> Objects around, it may be reasonable to use it to simplify the passing
> of general Java Objects that come with the JDK - or complex types that
> are known to both sides of the fence.

> Ultimately, both sides of the fence *have* to know what is going
> around - unless we are restricting ourselves to making simple 'search'
> or 'stock price' queries against Google.

I dont think that justifies marshalling java objects over the wire. As an
aside, i  have done that in the past  in a different context (multicast IP
transmittal of stuff). Once you move to interoperable XML you get more
opportunities to do interesting things, believe me

-steve