axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anecito, Anthony (HQP)" <Tony.Anec...@rhi.com>
Subject RE: Performance
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 20:21:15 GMT
Hi Steve,

Your answers helped a lot. I do not normally "get" source code unless
absolutely necessary. If I did then I would have been on the Axis dev
message thread and more likely this message would not have occurred.

Many Thanks,
Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 12:07 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Performance

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anecito, Anthony (HQP)" <Tony.Anecito@rhi.com>
To: <tim@calidris.force9.co.uk>; <axis-user@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 10:30

> On the server side I would use worker thread pattern. I have not tried
this
> myself yet but have hopes it will help me cut down the transaction times
> since there is not a big concurrency issue for my app.

um, surely you get this for free with your app server. Axis uses a servlet
to handle inbound calls, however you app server queues and pools threads,
axis will implicitly have the same behaviour. i.e if you config your app
server to have a max of 16 threads, that is what you get in Axis.

> I did ask the question in this group if the Axis servlet is single
threaded
> but have not gotten an answer.

that is what the source is for.

> If it is then there will always be
> performance issues if the transaction times are slow downstream of the
axis
> servlet and due to the nature of request/response and http being blocking
so
> the next http request into the single servlet has to wait till the last
> request is finished.

only if the servlet is marked as singlethreaded. AxisServlet isnt.

-steve