axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Galbreath" <mark_galbre...@qat.com>
Subject RE: serialize but not deserialize
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:04:07 GMT
Thanks a lot, Cory.  You've given me some direction to explore.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Cory Wilkerson [mailto:cwilkerson@travelnow.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 6:51 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: RE: serialize but not deserialize

If you're refering to the null deserializer -- it was a bit of a hack but I
essentially just provided DeserializerFactory and Deserializer
implementations
that do nothing -- they simply ignore the process.

If however you're refering to custom de/serializers -- that's another can of

worms.  There's little Axis documentation to support it and the examples do
little to get you there -- it's a matter of trial and error.

Note that there are a few ways to emulate custom de/serialization,
the easiset way is to provide BeanInfo objects, but I've found myself in
an architecture that isn't that flexible (plus they don't buy you as much
flexibility in what you can/can't do).

If you're looking for a ton of freedom -- Axis affords you the ability to
trump the functionality of the default BeanSerializer that simply reflects
all public properties/fields in a given bean by providing customer
de/serializers
which hijack nearly every part of the de/serialization process.

Have a look at AXIS_HOME\samples\encoding to get started on this stuff --
hopefully I'll find time to really do this process justice and publish some
documentation re: how to get this stuff moving.  It's extremely nice once it
comes together -- it basically allows us to expose X number of messages to
different clients and have these marshalled directly into our existing core
representations.

See the Axis User Guide for a quick blurb on how you'd go about deploying
these custom de/serializers once developed (via TypeMapping).

Forgive the unworthy/over-simplified description but it certainly rivals the

documentation ;)

Cory