axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Yuan <jun...@pancake.as.utexas.edu>
Subject RE: examples
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:02:26 GMT

Just a few more comments ...

> Google's Web API is free, supplied as an experiment and to promote goodwill.
> But the Web service actually undermines Google's business model (collecting
> revenues from advertising), since the API users don't see ads.

Hmm, but Google WS does require registration and does not allow you to
put up a commercial search service using it. If you want to use it
commercially, you have to work out a deal with them -- and pay them more
than the ads rate, I suppose. :)

> Amazon's Web API is not available to the general public. It's designed for
> B2B business relationships. It allows Amazon's affiliates to use Amazon's
> catalog to sell Amazon merchandise through their own Web sites.

I found Amazon's most useful web API is its XML API not the SOAP
interface. :)

> Microsoft provides the MapPoint Web service, which provides a Web API to
> MapQuest.

MapPoint.NET has a very complex SOAP interface. It does not work with Axis
out-of-the-box because it requires HTTP DIGEST AUTH. You have to hack the
HTTP transport class a little bit to make it work. Again, MP.NET provides
a 45-day trial. After that, you need to pay big $$$. It is oriented toward
corporate customers who do a lot of Geo-encoding.

cheers
Michael
Read Michael Yuan's technology articles
http://www.enterprisej2me.com/articles.php
Dr. Dobbs Journal, JavaWorld, IBM developerWorks and more ...