axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject RE: standalone vs. servlet
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 15:46:38 GMT
I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by "native" versus Java. A SOAP
implementation provides language bindings for SOAP. Axis supports Java.
gSOAP supports C or C++. If your application is written in Java, then you
need a SOAP implementation that supports Java. If your application is
written in C or C++, then you need a SOAP implementation that supports C or
C++. If your application is written in Perl, then you need a SOAP
implementation that support Perl. If you use multiple progamming languages,
then you need multiple SOAP implementations.

Assuming that your SOAP service communicates using HTTP, then you must have
an HTTP server associated with the SOAP service. Most SOAP implementations
take the easy route and rely on an existing HTTP server.

The main component of a SOAP implementation is a SOAP message processor. The
SOAP message processor processes SOAP messages, identifies what to do with
the message (i.e. identify what application to invoke to process the
message), transforms the SOAP message body into native language objects, and
load/invoke the appropriate application. If the SOAP engine needs to load
the program, it generally uses an application server/container to host and
manage the applications.

There are three basic configurations: embedded, standalone, server-based.
1 - The embedded option allows you to embed an HTTP server and the SOAP
message processor within your application.
2 - The standalone option essentially creates a dedicated application server
to load/manage your services.
3 - The server-based option allows you to run the environment in and rely on
the application management facilities of an existing application server.

In general, if you have only one service, the embedded option is the most
efficient. Options 2 and 3 allow you to share resources, which is important
when you're dealing with multiple services and multiple clients. A high-end
application server often provides a number of features (clustering,
multithreading, resources pooling, etc.) that you need for high scalability.
So in general, you'll achieve your best raw performance (highest throughput
for one user) when using option #1 or #2. You achieve your best scalability
(highest throughput for many users) when using option #3 with a highly
scalable app server.

C++ is faster than Java, so C++ SOAP is faster than Java SOAP -- in terms of
raw performance.

I believe that gSOAP only supports the first option. If you have only one
service, it's a simple and easy way to implement a service. If you have lots
of services, it's not the most efficient use of system resources. One
caution about gSOAP is that it only supports RPC/encoded, which might cause
interoperability issues. Your other C++ options include Systinet WASP for
C++ and RogueWave LEIF. WASP supports all three options. For option #3, it
can be deployed within Apache Web Server, IIS, and Netscape Web Server. LEIF
only supports option #3 using RogueWave's C++ servlet-like engine.

Axis doesn't provide a built-in HTTP server or application server, so it
assumes that you will use a servlet engine to host the environment. You can
create a dedicated server (#2) or you can deploy it in pretty much any J2EE
application server (#3). You have more than 20 Java SOAP implementations to
choose from. Most implementations assume that you will deploy using a
servlet engine or J2EE application server. Systinet WASP for Java and The
Mind Electric GLUE both support all three options. Killdara Vitiris supports
only the embedded option.

As far as performance testing tools, I can recommend Mindreef SOAPscope.
It's really a diagnostic tool rather than a performance testing tool, but it
can measure throughput.

Regards,
Anne