axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Hatton" <khat...@axiomsystems.com>
Subject RE: Scalability, Multiple Threads/Objects?
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:09:47 GMT
Roy,

What normally happens with a servlet (and Axis is a servlet) is that a single instance is
used to handle all requests, unless the Web Server provides a pool of servlet instances (in
my experience, WebLogic is the only server I've come across that does), or the servlet implements
the SingleThreadModel interface (in which case requests to each instance are serialized).

So that should be fine for your scalability, as far as the servlet is concerned. I guess you
need to be concerned about whether your web service is thread-safe, and the scope of the instances
that are created by Axis as defined by your wsdd file.

Hope that helps
Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy Wood [mailto:roy.wood@filogix.com]
Sent: 05 February 2003 14:34
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Scalability, Multiple Threads/Objects?

I've read through the Axis docs and can't seem to answer this question,
and am hoping that someone else out there can help.

I'm looking at deploying a SOAP/Axis service, and am concerned about
scalability.  It seems the logical thing to do is have several instances
of my code running to service multiple incoming requests from the
clients, but I can find no definitive statement that this is what Axis
does.  Anyone have anything to comment there?

I'm deploying within Tomcat, so perhaps it is handled at the Tomcat
level?

-Roy

"Disclaimer ­ The opinions expressed in this message are strictly
personal and do not necessarily reflect those of FiLogix."