axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: Why Pull-Parser faster ?
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:10:14 GMT
Bill de hÓra wrote:

> Brain, Jim wrote:
>
>> Reason:  XPP is tuned for SOAP and structured XML work, where the
>> whitespace
>> and CRLF marks can be assumed to be there for prettiness only, and
>> have no
>> code value.
>

> So XPP isn't a compliant XML parser?

AFAIK XPP has always reported whitespace properly. Glue's Electric XML
is the only parser I know of that discards whitespace between elements
(though this may have become an option rather than hardwired behavior in
recent versions).

XPP3 is the current version of the XPP parser. XPP3 implements the
XMLPull interface (http://www.xmlpull.org) and is compliant with the XML
specification except with respect to DTDs and related issues (general
entities, etc.). These generally aren't used for data-oriented XML, and
I think they're actually forbidden by SOAP.

  - Dennis