axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "dumdum 420" <dumdum...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Apache SOAP vs AXIS
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:12:27 GMT
Thanx anne for the reply. I have another question that my axis client is
going to be Visual Basic application ,I beleive my webservice is based on
RPC/ecoding , so this means I have to rewrite it with Document/Literal and
if so how difficult is the change. Any pointers will help a lot.

Bhanu Pabreja.

From: "Anne Thomas Manes" <anne@manes.net>
To: <axis-user@xml.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Apache SOAP vs AXIS
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:38:55 -0500

SOAP supports two ways to construct a message: either as a Document or as an
RPC. You specify the construction method in the WSDL binding description
with the style= attribute (style="document" or style="rpc"). SOAP also
supports two ways to encode the message: either using an XML Schema or using
the SOAP encoding data model. You specify the enocding style in the WSDL
binding description with the use= attribute (use="literal" or
use="encoded"). Normally you use Document with literal and RPC with encoded.
(I've never seen anyone use document/encoded, although you might see someone
use rpc/literal -- very few implementations support rpc/literal, though).

Microsoft has always supported document/literal by default. If you want to
interoperate with MS SOAP Toolkit or .NET, you need to use doc/literal.

Anne