axis-java-user mailing list archives

From David Peterson <peter...@ee.usyd.edu.au>
Subject Stateful Web Services
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:25:03 GMT

Hi All,

I have a bit of a newbie question in relation to web services:

Do SOAP-based web services support the concept of state and persistence?
That is, can I easily create a web service where state is preserved
between invocations?

For example, can I create a "bank account" web service, which supports
deposit(), withdrawl() and getBalance() operations, and have that web
service preserve the current account balance between separate invocations?

I imagine that I could achieve this with web services by using an
external persistence component, eg an EJB, or a JDBC call to a database.
What I want to know is whether I can preserve state internally (inside a
web service component) by simply declaring an instance variable
appopriately (e.g. "static" - though this might not be the right approach).

On the other hand, is my only "stateful web service" option to use an
external persistence layer (JDBC or EJB?)

Thanks.

David Peterson