axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Tom Myers <tommy...@dreamscape.com>
Subject copyright issues (was Re: Please help: targetService-error with SonicMQ-example
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:10:16 GMT
Krishnakumar B wrote:

> HI
>
> The sample use samples.stock.StockQuoteService.
>
> This uses http://www.xmltoday.com/examples/stockquote/getxmlquote.vep?s=IBM
>
> Try changing this to access a different URL and then try
>
> http://quotes.nasdaq.com/quote.dll?page=xml&mode=stock&symbol="+symbol

and so I looked at
   http://quotes.nasdaq.com/quote.dll?page=xml&mode=stock&symbol=IBM&symbol=MSFT
and there is indeed a very nice XML result for the stocks, but I also see a
copyright which appears to prohibit this usage:
> Unless you have a NASDAQ Logo License or other written agreement in
> effect with The NASDAQ Stock Market, Inc. which states otherwise, you
> may only provide a hypertext link to the NASDAQ Site on another website,
> provided that (a) the link must be a text-only link clearly marked
> "NASDAQ Home Page" or "NASDAQ.com", (b) the link must "point" to the URL
> "http://www.NASDAQ.com" and not to other pages within the NASDAQ Site...
data can be copied under "fair use" or on a single "personal and non-commercial
use" basis, yes, but requires "an attached copy of this page containing NASDAQ's
Disclaimer, Copyright and Trademark Notices" which I don't see attached to
the SOAP data. I don't know the right way to think about this, and I'm trying
to learn...Am I being too fussy, or misreading altogether?

Tom Myers