axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Swanson, Brion" <Brion.Swan...@westgroup.com>
Subject RE: question deploying Axis under my own Webapp
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:05:25 GMT
Yeah, I think it may have to do with how WAR files are handled within the
J2EE servlet container more than Axis itself, but I guess I was led to
believe Axis needed to 'contain' my webapp or be contained by my webapp
according to the installation instructions.  To me this seemed to involve
the placement of the WAR files and their contents with regard to Axis.  I'm
checking into Tomcat documentation to see if I missed something.

Thanks for your help!

Brion

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin Tomasini [mailto:btomasini@neteverything.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 10:27 PM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: question deploying Axis under my own Webapp

I don't know about the advanced installation.

There is no webapp heirarchy that I know of in the J2EE spec (I would be
curious if there is).

I think you are running into issues that are related more to the J2EE
spec for webapps than Axis itself.

Some more comments:

What about http://host:8080/myapp/services/MyService ?

> What confuses me when running my webapp and Axis side-by-side is that Axis
> throws many exceptions if I don't copy the myapp/WEB-INF/classes structure
> over into the axis/WEB-INF/classes directory and place any shared
libraries
> at least in the $APPSERVER_HOME/shared/lib directory if not in the
> axis/WEB-INF/lib directory. I understand this is part of the 'normal'
> installation, but then what is the "Advanced Installation: adding Axis to
> your own Webapp" section of the installation instructions talking about?
>
> To me, this seems like I'm practically installing my webapp into Axis when
> I'd really prefer Axis to run at least beside my webapp if not underneath
> it.

Running them them together wouldn't be a bad idea.  The J2EE spec if
flexible enough to make this practical.

If you really have a need to run Axis as its own webapp, you will need
to copy your classes over.

Good luck!

Ben Tomasini