axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: AxisServlet with GET requests
Date Sat, 14 Dec 2002 19:04:52 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin Tomasini" <btomasini@neteverything.com>
To: <axis-user@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 10:47
Subject: RE: AxisServlet with GET requests

> Seems to me that since AxisServlet is such a key component, we would all
> be best served by keeping it as thin and reliable as possible.
>
> Since all config is stored in external repositories, seems like this
> type of info would be better served up from a servlet like
> AxisInfoServlet,
>
> If we are concerned about keeping the info servlet at the same URL as
> the web service, we could set a config variable that would optionally
> perform a request forward.
>
> This would keep the main servlet thin for the benefit of the whole Axis
> community, and give some extra benefits for those looking for these
> decorated functions.

well, if you look closely today the actual text is all kept in a properties
file for localisation. so you can change stuff in one place then rebuild
axis.

The other thing is that the servlet is now moderately broken out into
separate methods to process different paths and generate each of the umpteen
response messages. What would be possible without adding new servlets is to
have a ServletResponseGenerator interface; the default impl would contain
the current code, factored out into a new class, but a second impl would
hand each response. off to a different JSP page, all filled in with the
appropriate request scope params. Then you can edit JSP pages for different

probability of this happening? Pretty low, I'd say, because there are many
more pressing issues to deal with.

-steve