axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Darren Marvin" <...@it-innovation.soton.ac.uk>
Subject RE: WS-Security and Globus
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 07:27:54 GMT
Hi,

You say you are using Globus, is that standard Toolkit, either v1 or v2. Globus 3 is actually
called Open Grid Services Architecture (OGSA) and is built on web services. What is more OGSA
has a proposed security architecture based on WS-Security. You can read it at:

http://www.globus.org/ogsa/Security/OGSA-SecArch-v1-07192002.pdf

There aren't any obvious implementations available yet, but you could attempt to extend Axis
to support WS-Security, you can use Apache's XML Security to do this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Gramlich [mailto:jgramlich@piocon.com]
Sent: 12 December 2002 20:34
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: WS-Security and Globus

Hello all,

I'm working on a project where we'd like to use Globus to secure a client
server application.  This application communicates via messages, passed
through CORBA, to and from both client and server.  My current
investigations into both CORBA and the Globus toolkit tell me that Globus
and CORBA don't jive.  That is, not well, at least.

So, what we'd like to do now is use Web Services instead of CORBA, but the A
no. 1 reason we're even doing this (application re-write-ish thing) in the
first place is because we want to add encryption and authentication to the
current application.  I found out about WS-Security on IBM's developerworks
site and thought it might be useful.

I don't suppose anyone has used Globus and WS-Security together yet?  Any
code samples pehaps?

Joshua Gramlich
Chicago, IL