axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject RE: UTF-16 with Axis
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:54:46 GMT
Chinese and Japanese character sets are much more efficient in UTF-16 than
in UTF-8. So I can certainly understand why someone might want to use one
over the other.

Also, the WS-I Basic Profile [1] stipulates:

	R1012 MESSAGEs MAY be serialized as either UTF-8 or UTF-16.

In order to be conformant to the WS-I Basic Profile, a SOAP service (and the
SOAP implementation it uses) must support both UTF-8 and UTF-16. From the
profile:

	A deployed instance of a Web service (as specified by
      wsdl:port) is considered conformant if it produces only
      conformant artifacts, and is capable of consuming conformant
      artifacts, as appropriate. Note that this means that where
      multiple conformant artifacts are possible, a conformant
      service must be able to consume them all (e.g., while a
      sender may choose whether to encode XML in UTF-8 or UTF-16
      when sending a message, a receiver must be capable of using
      either).

[1] http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/Basic/2002-10/BasicProfile-1.0-WGD.htm

Anne