axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject RE: UTF-16 with Axis
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:27:15 GMT
I realize that Axis doesn't currently conform to WS-I Basic Profile, but I
would think that there'd be some consensus that it would be a "good thing"
to consider making it happen. Given that IBM, Macromedia, and Borland all
participate in WS-I, and they all use Axis within their products, I'd expect
that they'll push to make it happen.

WS-I is the only formal organization that is attemption to ensure
interoperability for the current round of Web services specs (SOAP 1.1, WSDL
1.1, UDDI 2.0). Only UDDI 2.0 will ever achieve the status of an official
standard (via OASIS). W3C isn't doing anything around these specs. W3C is
developing SOAP 1.2 and WSDL 1.2. SOAP 1.2 might be finished by Q1 next
year. WSDL 1.2 won't be finished until Q4 next year (if they maintain their
current schedule). So if interoperability is an important goal within the
next 12-18 months, WS-I Basic Profile is the only way to go.

(And by the way, W3C is not an official international de jure standards
organization. It's just a consortium of vendors that work together to
develop specifications using a process governed by the bylaws of the
consortium. WS-I is also a consortium of vendors that work together to
develop specifications using a process governed by the bylaws of the
consortium. I don't really see much difference. I've participated in
standards development at W3C, OASIS, UDDI, and WS-I. Each consortium has
slightly different bylaws, but for the most part, the process is the same.)

Anne