axis-java-user mailing list archives

From tom schuring <tomschur...@mac.com>
Subject Re: xml document as string
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:08:19 GMT
Hello Steve,

thanks for that. i did find out that axis client automatically does the encoding so sending
"</envelope>" will not harm anything. i am wondering if this is the standard and where
i can find the standard that tells me exactly this and the encoding used .

best regards,
tom

On Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002, at 04:18PM, Steven Gollery <sgollery@cadrc.calpoly.edu> wrote:

>Tom,
>
>There's a reasonably simple way to find out for sure: construct a web
>service that takes a string parameter and then pass "</envelope>" and
>see what happens.
>
>Looking through the code, parameters become instances of RPCParam, and
>serializing strings in RPCParam results in them being encoded.
>
>So it looks like you don't need to deal with encoding strings yourself:
>Axis will do it for you.
>
>Steve Gollery
>

>tom schuring wrote:
>
>>hello,
>>
>>i'm sending a serialized xml doc via an RPC-SOAP call with a signature something like:
>>
>>String sendDocument(String myXmlString);
>>
>>when i use one of the examples to send something i see that it automatically encodes
by xml-document so it fits in the envelope. (meaning < get replaced by &lt;  etc..
).
>>it all seems to work so the axis server must decode it back when i get it whithout
me having to do anything about it.

>>my questions:
>>
>>1) what encoding is used for a normal (java?)String parameter in RPC-SOAP ?
>>2) is this in the SOAP specification ?
>>
>>any feedback welcome.
>>thanks,
>>tom
>>
>>ps: the reason i'm asking is that one of the users of the webservice is convinced
that you don't need to encode strings. but that would seem silly to because it would make
the protocol non-transparent. it would break whenever someone tries to send a </envelope>
string. or am i mistaken ?