axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: UTF-16 with Axis
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:34:05 GMT

> Anne wrote:
> > R1012 MESSAGEs MAY be serialized as either UTF-8 or UTF-16.
> >
> > In order to be conformant to the WS-I Basic Profile, a SOAP service (and
> the
> > SOAP implementation it uses) must support both UTF-8 and UTF-16. From
the
> > profile:

Anne,

Who says Axis conforms to the WS-I profile? Its's not like they are some
widely recognised standards body like the w3c. Axis  (and JAX-RPC) uses
stuff that the basic profile doesnt like, specifically rpc/encoded soap by
default.

Regarding encoding, SOAP is XML, compliant XML parsers all handle UTF-16
encoding. So specification wise, it aint an issue.

There is an implementation issue, to wit: what does Axis send down the wire?
That is left as experiment to the reader -and remember, you have the source
to fix things if they dont work.