axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Oliver" <ol...@appsaspeers.com>
Subject RE: As soon as I read...the next step should be simple...
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:47:20 GMT
Steve,

I hope you noted my tongue in cheek approach.  I was in the process of
documenting the steps for one of my people and thought it might be
useful for others trying to do what "should be simple" ;-)

I hoped you would notice my Ant comment....as one of the Acknowledged
Reviewer's of your book on Ant, I am happy you did.

See my additional comments below.

Michael Oliver
AppsAsPeers LLC
7391 S. Bullrider Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85747
Phone:(520)574-1150
Fax:(520)844-1036

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 2:24 PM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: As soon as I read...the next step should be simple...

> Axis is ok, the Installation Guide sucks, but that's ok, I won't be
> reading that again...;-)>

I rewrote a fair bit of the doc last weekend, so I am disappointed that
you
find how I spent my friday evening unsatisfactory. Perhaps you would
like to
contribute some of your spare time to the task of improving the docs.

[Mike Oliver>>] well I guess I already did, in a sense, Step 3/5 needs
some more meat...as in an example from the distribution as I did.  I
don't know enough yet to be more than chaff or background noise like
this at the moment, but I will offer suggestions directly to you if you
are the POC.  Just in case you didn't notice yet, there are two Step 3's
and no Step 5.

Your mention of step 0 makes me think you have the updated version
already -
Did you look at the web site or did you look at the version which came
with
your distribution?

[Mike Oliver>>]  I suppose if I had known there was a version with the
distribution I would have....but like most I saw the Installation Guide
on the web site before I downloaded the distribution, so since its
already there when I am ready to install...

> So I go to the \samples\message\ where I find the deploy.wsdd
>
> "Here we go!" I say to myself.
>
> java org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient
> -lhttp://localhost:8080/axis/services/AdminService deploy.wsdd

> javax/servlet/ServletContext....ok back to the classpath.

Bug in axis1.0 on java1.4; is now fixed. The reason it isnt in the docs
was
because it is a bug, one that everyone thought was fixed before Axis1.0
shipped. I guess if you are a representative example of a user who reads
the
web site docs rather than the ones that came with their version, then we
have scope to mention the bug in the install docs along with the fix
(get a
nightly build).

[Mike Oliver>>] a note on the web site to "refer to the version in the
distribution for the latest (nightly) updates" might be enough to get
some to look there.

> Still unclear whether I must copy the classes first then deploy or if
> the deploy copies the classes for me....seems like if I were deploying
> to remote machine the AdminClient should copy the classes for me

admin client just tells the server about another service; the files
should
be there. so copy them first

[Mike Oliver>>] ;-) a left handed comment, I was suggesting the
AdminClient should copy the classes for me, I see this as a big win as
it would always ensure the right ones were deployed.

> too....oh well quit while you are a head, java head that is, OOP
junky,
> X Generation.  Let's see what will Ant do for me...;-)

[Mike Oliver>>] Something I didn't mention because I haven't looked to
see if someone else has noticed...the link to the AdminServlet is not
available, if its still on your desktop you should commit it for
tonights build...;-)

Also in cvs are the docs for ant tasks you need, including <axis-admin>

[Mike Oliver>>] thanks, we are basing all of our Java adaptors on axis
so we will be very active.