axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Kevin.Bed...@sunlife.com
Subject Re: XML and web services
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:41:05 GMT

Doesn't this all seem complex compared to just supporting an XML datatype?

For a number of the Weblogic services I've created I used things like:

- <message name="fetchAdvisorListRequest">
        <part name="arg0" type="dom:org.w3c.dom.Document" />
  </message>
- <message name="fetchAdvisorListResponse">
        <part name="return" type="dom:org.w3c.dom.Document" />
  </message>

As you can see, the endpoint takes a single argument in and sends a single
argument back - just XML docs.

This makes it easy to send pretty complex data structures over the wire.
For example, one app we created had an XML element called <Command> that we
used to implement a 'Command Pattern' for the web service. The <Command>
value was passed to a factory class that returned a parser that knew what
to expect in that particular XML document. We created upwards ot 20
commands for the project - all with widely varying XML content - and we had
to implement only a single web service endpoint. Plus all the data was
readable text when monitored using tcpmon.

I know that another department connected to one of the services using some
MS technologies - though I don't know the details - and was able to process
things with no problem.

This seems to me to be a much simpler way to build web services than to
create a bunch of different services and endpoints and have to have
different datatypes (and potentially custom handlers).

Kevin

James Black <jblack@ieee.org> on 10/29/2002 01:26:41 PM