axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Barry Lulas <Barry.Lu...@BristolWest.com>
Subject RE: XML and web services
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:07:52 GMT
I get the following error message when using the Document version:

The class org.w3c.dom.Document does not contain a default constructor, which
is a requirement for a bean class.  The class cannot be converted into an
xml schema type.  An xml schema anyType will be used to define this class in
the wsdl file.

Any way around this?

-----Original Message-----
From: James Black [mailto:jblack@ieee.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 11:05 AM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: XML and web services

Barry Lulas wrote:

> I'm just trying to find the best way to describe the datatype that
> holds the XML documents.
>
> For example, my java interface for the web service may look like this:
>
>         public interface IMyInterface
>         {
>                 public String executeQuery(String query);
>         }

  This will allow portability, and works, but you may have problems if
the XML is not well-formed.

>                 OR
>
>         public interface IMyInterface
>         {
>                 public Document executeQuery(Document query);
>         }

  Never tried this, don't know if there is any portability issues
involved.

>                 OR
>
>         public interface IMyInterface
>         {
>                 public byte [] executeQuery(byte [] query);
>         }

  There is a penalty paid in creating the byte array, but it is portable
and doesn't create problems if there is a problem with the XML. The file
may also be larger due to the base64 encoding, though you could have the
web service same both the string and byte array to a file and see what
the size difference is.

  Your best bet is to try each method, call the client 10-100 times, and
time it, see if the penalty paid is too high.