axis-java-user mailing list archives

From James Black <jbl...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: XML and web services
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:04:44 GMT
Barry Lulas wrote:

> I'm just trying to find the best way to describe the datatype that
> holds the XML documents.
>
> For example, my java interface for the web service may look like this:
>
>         public interface IMyInterface
>         {
>                 public String executeQuery(String query);
>         }

  This will allow portability, and works, but you may have problems if
the XML is not well-formed.

>                 OR
>
>         public interface IMyInterface
>         {
>                 public Document executeQuery(Document query);
>         }

  Never tried this, don't know if there is any portability issues
involved.

>                 OR
>
>         public interface IMyInterface
>         {
>                 public byte [] executeQuery(byte [] query);
>         }

  There is a penalty paid in creating the byte array, but it is portable
and doesn't create problems if there is a problem with the XML. The file
may also be larger due to the base64 encoding, though you could have the
web service same both the string and byte array to a file and see what
the size difference is.

  Your best bet is to try each method, call the client 10-100 times, and
time it, see if the penalty paid is too high.