axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Grant Echols \(JanusLogix\)" <gech...@januslogix.com>
Subject Re: MessageContext.setMaintainSession
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:12:03 GMT
MessageAlex,

I've been playing with sessions all day and found what I really wanted after a bit of muddling
around. I realize that with "scope"="session" that I'd be getting a new instance of my SOAP
service and would therefore be able to store local variables unique to the session, etc. However,
this isn't what I'd been trying to achieve. I was looking for something more like the HttpSession
concept in servlets and was able to achieve this with the "scope"="application" and by having
the Axis client and service call the MessageContext.setMaintainSession(true). Then the server
can use the MessageContext.getSession() to retrieve the session for the particular client.
So far this is working the way I'd wanted. I hope that this is not relying on an unexpected
behavior in Axis.

Thanks again for your help. Your explanations (especially about the client enabling sessions)
made a big difference.

Grant
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Volanis, Alexander
  To: 'axis-user@xml.apache.org'
  Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 4:05 PM
  Subject: RE: MessageContext.setMaintainSession

  Grant,

  As the name implies "scope"="session" is the way to enable session tracking in Axis services.
It is really up to the client to maintain the session by caching the HTTP cookies returned
by the server. Most clients would either do this by default or require a flag to enable it
like Axis clients do. As far as HTTP sessions go this is all you need to support them.

  Alex