axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: sending large files
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:04:01 GMT

Martin,

We are all very interested in performance for Axis.

What we would be MORE interested in, is if you were to pinpoint WHERE and WHY we have the
problems that led to your findings.  Bonus points for providing a PATCH to fix the problems.

The standard answer to the question: "When will X be done/fixed?"
"Sooner, if you help out"

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Jericho [mailto:martin.j@radiocity.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 6:21 PM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: sending large files

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Black" <jblack@ieee.org>
To: <axis-user@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 7:28 AM

> "Jung, Eric (Contractor)" wrote:
>
> > Have you turned off debugging output? With a stdout appender, things are
> > extremely slow for me with message sizes no where approaching 800K.
>
>   Turned it off where?

org.apache.log4j.Category.getDefaultHierarchy().disableDebug();

>   I am installing Tomcat 4.1.12 at the moment,but would like to know how
> turn off any debugging also.

Regarding the performance problem, you should indeed half the time required
by turning off debugging, but the real problem is worse than that.  I posted
a message to this mailing list a couple of days ago (Subject: Performance
problems with RPC messages over 20k), where I did some benchmarks based on
message size.  It looks like the time required to process the message
increases at a geometric rate relative to the message size.

As yet no-one else seems to be interested in this problem, so the best thing
I can suggest is to break your string up into 20K chunks.

Please let me know whether you find out anything more about it.

Martin Jericho