axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Ted Neward <T...@matmail.ucdavis.edu>
Subject RE: AXIS and JMX Architecture.
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:34:10 GMT

http://www.javageeks.com
http://www.clrgeeks.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Kurland [mailto:Adam@biospace.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 12:14
To: 'axis-user@xml.apache.org'
Subject: RE: AXIS and JMX Architecture.

Eric,
I recently found myself in the same position- wanting to know a lot about
the specific parameters of the servlet request in a web service call.
You must ask yourself a question- why would you need such details in a
normal application?  AXIS is supposed to shield the developer from knowing
the details of the servlet request- in fact why should you care if it is a
servlet handling the request at all? Suppose the implementation of AXIS (or
any other web service hosting thing) changes so that different kinds of
requests are handled by different servlets in the future- you want to
service to continue working gracefully.

One thing that I have learned after using AXIS for while is that its best to
"know" as little as possible about the web services container implmentation.
In fact, if you stick with service implmentation classes (the ones that we
write) that only import the jax-rpc libraries and dont import the axis ones,
you're better off.

Kind of like using PreparedStatement instead of OraclePreparedStatement in a
JDBC program- sure you can do more but look- you have wedded yourself to an
implementation detail when its usually not necessary.  And thats one of the
larger points of using web services- that you dont wed yourself to closely
to these implementation details.

Sorry for the rant.
Adam